How to manage expectations this Christmas
Actually, it's probably more about "How not to get trapped by the expectations of others this Christmas"
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more!” ― Dr. Seuss
Christmas can be a really challenging time for many people. It can be especially difficult if you feel like you’re trapped by the expectations of others. Here are five ways you can stop yourself from getting trapped in the expectations of others this season:
1. Set realistic expectations for yourself. Don’t expect to have the perfect Christmas — it’s impossible. Instead, focus on having a good time and enjoying the company of your loved ones.
2. Don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone has different traditions and ideas about what makes Christmas special. Comparing yourself to others is only going to make you feel bad.
3. Take a break from social media. It can be really easy to get caught up in the online hype around Christmas. If you find yourself getting stressed out, take a break from social media and enjoy some peace and quiet.
4. Talk to someone about how you’re feeling. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, talk to a friend or family member about it. They may be able to offer some helpful advice or support.
5. Make time for yourself. Christmas is a busy time of year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take some time for yourself. Make sure you schedule in some time to relax and unwind. You deserve it!
If you follow these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy Christmas without getting stressed or anxious. The holidays should be a time for being with the people you love, so enjoy it!
“For many people, getting ready for Christmas seems more of a hassle than a source of happiness. It is a source of stress. They feel pressure, not pleasure, when it comes to Christmas. It’s a duty, not a delight. They endure Christmas rather than enjoy it.” ― Rick Warren
So, would it be a good idea to STOP and think what this time means to YOU, what YOU would like to make it and then create a holiday YOU can enjoy?
Christmas can be a really challenging time for many people. In order to stop yourself from getting trapped in the expectations of others this season, set realistic expectations for yourself, don’t compare yourself to others, take a break from social media, talk to someone about how you’re feeling and make time for yourself.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy Christmas without getting stressed or anxious.